Feedback 2014

Dear all,

During summer 2014 I got some feedback from the students about the course which was held in autumn 2014 (beginners, level A1.2 - A 2.1).  Thank you to those answered my questions. Your opinion makes me work harder and change things to make my teaching more effective.
See your anonymous answers and my comments below!

1. Suggestopedian method efficiency in your case. Please grade from 0 to 5:

                  * 80% - 5 points, 20% - 4 points

2. Your language level at the end of the course. A) deteriorated B) remained the same C) improved slightly D) improved

                  * 50 % - D) improved slightly, 50% - C) improved

3. Drawbacks of the method. What did you not like and why?

* When working in pairs or groups we could make mistakes and not have them corrected when we had to make our own sentences. I think there was a bit too much of this 'unsupervised' pair / group work without the teacher checking our sentences / what we were saying. This meant we might have learnt incorrect ways of saying things from each other.


                 My comment: After every pair/group work we have a "check": the teacher asks the students to present the results of the group or pair work and immediately corrects it, if needed, saying the right version, which is repeated by the whole group. That is the way to "supervise" you pair/group work. I do not think that there is a big risk of learning incorrect grammar or a way of saying something, because each of you realizes, that you group-mates also have mistakes and you do not believe them 100% :) The idea of pair/group work is to make you speak Finnish and practice your skills. It's OK that you are making mistakes, because communication in a foreign language and learning is not about being perfect. Like in sports, you need 99 unsuccessful attempts, before you are good enough in running or jumping.

* Everything was good, We just haven`t enough hours.  

* Course is too short More classes needed

* Limited time. This limitation made the teacher to be too fast most time.

* I liked the method. Only problem is not enough classes. May be we should have regular class like this.

My comment: Oh, I absolutely agree! I wish I could hold classes every day. The only problem is money. Now the funding is enough only for short period courses. My aim is to create a bigger project based on experience gained during short time courses: a suggestopedian course for 5 - 6 month, which includes CDs and printed materials for students, some study visits and, in an ideal case, an exam to test your language level. It won't be possible without you.

4. Grade the instructor’s expertise from 0 to 5.

                   * 50 % - 5 points, 50% - 4 points

5. Quality of the visual aids used: handouts, grammar cards, pictures, etc. Please grade from 0 to 5.

                    * 60 % - 5 points, 40% - 5 points

6. How would you improve the classes? What would you add or leave out?

* Make sure the teacher always checks what we are saying when we are working in pairs or groups.

* Maybe add some role playing activities so we can practice 'every day life' encounters (shopping, traveling, visiting the doctor, meeting people, job interviews etc)More written work as homework (as long as the teacher has the time to correct it with us!

 Maybe more interesting to use our true names.

                   My comment: Using fictitious Finnish names has a pedagogical explanation. We learn how to use and pronounce different Finnish names. We need Finnish names to "build" dialogues and imaginary stories around them. Using Finnish names is a part of the method.

* The experience I have so far was good. I think smaller group is better as everyone will get involve during the classes. The way the instructor conducted and planned for the course material is good and organized, for instance, we studied one topic for a certain period of time and repeating those.

                   My comment: The recommended size of the group according to the method is from 8 to 16 students, usually we have something in the middle. 

* Very good method at least for me.

* More space

 More practical studies – like asking each learner to speak in Finnish on any given topic for between 3 – 5 minutes, the mistakes can be corrected after the speaking.

                 My comment: It's exactly what we are doing:) It takes from 3 to 10 minutes depending on task.

 Using more Finnish for explanations.

                My comment: It's our target. The only limitation is the language level of the group. I want to be sure that everybody can understand my explanations in Finnish.

* In terms of the content, nothing - they're perfect for me and they have helped me enormously. They are at exactly the right level for me, and they focus on exactly the things I need help with, like conversation. Perfect.

7) What method of Finnish language learning would you employ in the future: suggestopedia or conventional teaching?

* Definitely suggestopedian. It really works for me - at least when Kristina is teaching! The lessons are a fun mental workout and I always feel engaged and involved in them!

* Probably both, suggestopedia and conventional teaching (especially those grammar things). Introduction to new topic in conventional and practicing using suggestopedia method

 Both. More methods - more use, better result.

* With some aspects of the conventional teaching

* Suggestopedia is much better, funny and helpful

     My comment: I will probably add pure grammar exercises as an extra, but not during suggestopedian parts. At the moment we do not have enough classes to add conventional grammar lessons. In our situation it would be perfect for you to attend some other Finnish course as well, where the grammar is taught conventionally.


Your comments and feedbacks are welcome any time. See also FAQ-tag notes where I answer your questions and explain things about suggestopedia. 

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti

Huomaa: vain tämän blogin jäsen voi lisätä kommentin.